Wednesday, October 10, 2012

October 10, 2012



            It has been a good fall for us so far. I have felt pretty good, and have been able to do some traveling with Margaret. The time we have been able to spend together has been great, and we both cherish those times we have had together.

                        John’s O’Gorman High School Soccer Team got second at the state tournament in Aberdeen. That was a cold experience for all of us, but we had a chance to see some great soccer games, and we had a good time. We were home for about 20 hours, and we got back into the car to drive down to Omaha for the long weekend. We saw our favorite two grandchildren, and John visited Creighton University’s campus on Monday. We had a great weekend, and enjoyed the time with Mark, Sara, and their family. Kolbe’s dance video is back to Mark now, so I need to have them post it on this blog so you guys can see the little guy dance. After you watch him for a few moments, you will see where his natural dance talents come from.
                        Next week on Monday I have an MRI of the old pumpkin once again (every three months now). On Tuesday we go into the Prairie Center to start with a blood draw, then a visit with Dr. Tolentino to see how the blood work looks and, to see how the MRI looks – see if I am growing any new tumors or expanding any old ones. If the blood work looks good, I am supposed to get an infusion of Avastin. On Thursday I visit with the nurse practitioner from Dr. Viola’s office to get my driver license renewal letter from them. Then to cap the week, we have a family meeting with Palliative Care on Friday afternoon. Busy medical week.
                        Next Friday afternoon, our family is gathering in Humboldt to help move Jarding Construction from the old shop into a newer and smaller building. It will be a busy weekend, but fun with everybody helping out.
                        I have been having some headaches this last week, which always leaves one with brain cancer anxious as to the cause of those headaches. That continues to be the hard part of this journey – the not being in control and not knowing. That is what Faith is all about, and I guess it is a test of my Faith. I do not think I am ready for the downward spiral in my health yet, but I should probably strap on the seat belt and hang on for the ride. I have too many things to do to get sick, but we will see what God has planned for me and my schedule.

                        Some of the Gifts I have seen these past weeks that stand out are listed below:
1)    Beautiful Black Hills Fall Scenery like you can’t believe - sharing it with the love of my life.
2)    Watching John play soccer – he is the last of the four boys I get to watch in ball games – we have seen a lot of games over the years.
3)    Holding my oldest granddaughter,Jameson, and having her look deep into my eyes – her beautiful eyes darting back and forth looking into my soul - me wondering if she will remember me – I think she will remember deep within her soul. I love that little girl………………
4)    Praying bedside prayers with Kolbe as he goes to bed – he is a pretty sincere little boy- and he says an extra prayer for grandpa, grandma, and great grandpa and grandma each night.
5)    Waking up at 2:30 AM with a headache – Margaret caressing my head to try to make the pain ease up a bit, which it usually does with her touch. Whispering to her that we are kind of getting taken on our time left together, but knowing that the moments we have shared to this point are more precious than many people get to share in a lifetime together.
6)    Sitting quietly in our backyard listening to God’s creation – we don’t get to do that enough in this busy life. God could have made everything gray and black, but he colored the world for you and I to enjoy.
7)    Trying to get a one hour nap in each day, resting in the arms of the Lord.
8)    Reminiscing on a great and gifted life I have been able to live – a great marriage – four wonderful gifts from God in our sons – now three of those sons have found women to make their lives complete – watching John on his first college tour and wondering what God will call him to do in his life’s vocation
9)    I have been blessed in having three separate careers that ran together at the same time. How many people wonder yet what they want to do in their life – I got to be a Carpenter who builds people’s dreams – a Fire Fighter who saves people’s lives, and a Father who passes on life and Faith in God to the next generation of our family. Who could ask for more than that?

Tonight before you go to sleep, thank God for the gifts in your life, and ask Him to help you in each step of your life’s journey.  He is there for each of us, and He has a plan for each of us. It is our job to trust in Him and to follow that plan wherever it takes us. God Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment