Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rocking Horses – Christmas 2012



The horses are all built and in the stable – waiting to ride on Santa’s sleigh to the homes of the good little Jarding Boys, their wonderful wives and fiancé’s, and a couple of grandkids. Kolbe actually got their family’s horse last Christmas, but he has pastured him at our house this last year. Each of the boys will have one horse for their children to share.
I have enjoyed the process of cutting, shaping, sanding, and finishing these three oak rocking horses. As I was putting the finish laquer coat on this last week, I imagined Jameson, Kolbe, and all of our future grandchildren rocking back and forth on the horses off on some adventure. I also kept thinking about how I was blessed by God to be able to build wood things and pieces of furniture off and on in my lifetime. I used to build a lot of stuff - then got married – had four wonderful sons – built three family homes for us in there - got a job as a Sioux Falls Fire Fighter, and got too busy to have much “free” time. One of the gifts of this disease prognosis has been that God gave me a shortened schedule, so I had to get a few of those items built that I wanted to get done. I like to spend my spare time out there tinkering in my little shop, but I don’t like deadlines anymore. I plan to work on a few more items yet, God willing. There might be a doll cradle coming for Jameson, but don’t let her know yet.
I have had some light headedness, dizziness, and not feeling the best over the past three weeks. My blood pressure was quite high at my last doctor’s appointment. The Avastin I get infused with can cause elevated blood pressure. My pressure had held steady for several months, but then shot up quite a bit. That explained the headaches and weird feelings for me. I am now on a drug to lower the blood pressure, which will take 7 to 10 days to work. I got really bad headaches a couple of nights earlier this week. I was putting coats of a fast drying laquer finish on the rocking horses, and I suspect the fumes from that did not help my headaches. I got a script for pain pills to use for the headaches, and a little dose of steroids to get back on now. I know they will make me feel better - I just don’t want the side affects I had earlier – large red face and eat like a horse – can’t sleep. This is a much much smaller dosage, so I am hoping it won’t hit me so hard. I really have nothing to complain about - many better people than I are suffering a lot more from their cancers. I have been feeling pretty good overall, and feel that God has truly blessed us this Holiday Season. Make it a great week!
I am including some pictures of the rocking horses waiting to leave the starting gate. That older heavy set gentlemen is me on Christmas goodies.
Merry Christmas to all of you, and God Bless you for the many prayers you have been saying for our family.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to see that you were able to finish the rocking horses! And I love the photos! Maybe I'll stop by and see if I can get a copy of the plans from you.

    Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete