Saturday, August 25, 2012

Granddaughters


 

Last weekend we went down to Yankton to attend the Baptism of Jameson Clare, our first granddaughter. Father John Rutten, a friend of Mark and Sara’s performed the ceremony at Sacred Heart church in Yankton.


     Things went well, and it was a beautiful ceremony. Now little Jameson is claimed by Christ and baptized into the faith. When Jesus was baptized we are told the heavens opened and a dove came down over Jesus’ head. God’s voice proclaimed, “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.”

     I believe that during each baptism, God says those same words – “This is my beloved daughter (or son) in whom I am well pleased.” The baptism washes away the stain of original sin and claims us for Christ.

          I have been thinking a lot about granddaughters this past week. Jameson is currently my favorite one, but I know that with those four sons we will have perhaps up to 6 more yet. The grandparent duties form our side of the family will fall into Margaret’s very capable hands. I will not be here to see them in grade school, to go to their programs at Christmas time, to be at their Confirmations, to see their pictures being all dressed up for the prom, or to watch them walk down the aisle at their weddings. I will be at all of those events, and watching over them closely, but they will not be able to see me there.         

          Margaret and I only have experience raising boys, so this grandpa doesn’t know how to brush hair or tie ribbons. Maybe Jameson can teach me some of that over the next few months. She is at that cute age where she will chatter to you and smile with her whole face when you talk to her.

           I was at the funeral of a retired Fire Captain a few years back, and one of his daughters talked about the “Grandpa Dates” that her dad took her daughters out on. Grandpa told the granddaughters that if any boy treats you with any less respect, courtesy, or kindness than I do, get rid of him! I liked that advice.

          Here are some words of advice for my granddaughters:

1)    Be the best version of yourself that you can be – don’t try to look or act like someone else. God made you special just like you are. There is not another person like you in this whole world. You are special and you were born for a special reason.

2)    Be nice to those people around you. Be kind to others, and help your mother and father with household chores.

3)    Pray to Mary every day – she is the mother of all of us, and she loves us a lot. When you have a big test, a dance recital, a ball game, or any big event, say a Hail Mary – she will help you get through the event.

4)    You have a special gift of your love that makes you special. Cherish that gift and give it to your husband.

5)    Dress nicely as if you were going out on a date with grandpa. Boys will respect you more for being modest than they will for making poor choices.

6)    Know that I will always love each of you and that I am praying for you and watching over you.

7)    God Bless you and keep you in the palm if his hand.

Love,

Grandpa Jarding

No comments:

Post a Comment