Thursday, January 10, 2013

January 10, 2013


 

I had an MRI of my brain completed yesterday, and today we met with Dr. Tolentino to go over those results. The original tumor site has shown some growth from about1.9 mm to about 3 mm. I don’t know much about mms, except the chocolate covered ones, but it appeared to my analytical mind that the tumor has increased in size by about one third in the last three months.

I have been experiencing some headaches and pressure over the past few weeks, so this is not a surprise to me. I think it is fairly normal for the progression of this disease. I have been on an infusion medicine that prevented the flow of blood to tumor sites, and that worked for about 6 months. Now we step up to a nastier chemo treatment that will kill all fast growing cells. The main side effects will be gastro-intestinal issues, hair loss, and fatigue. Sounds like a trip, doesn’t it? The good doctor thinks we can get another 6 months out of this treatment, depending on how I react to the chemo. If we opt to do nothing, in a few months the tumor would cause fatal issues.

I will knuckle under and have a port put in next week, then chemo treatments once every two weeks after that. This chemo now kind of withers my veins, I guess, so I decided I better get the port put in while I am still healthy enough to do it.

So, we are still right where we were – a day at a time – still feeling good today – and thanking God for the gifts He has given to all of us, and especially to me. We will continue down this path He has set for us, and be grateful for the many blessings He continues to bestow upon us. I am still feeling a lot better than many many people fighting this dreadful disease. The expectations as things progress will be neurological issues like loss of balance, memory issues, and perhaps a personality change. You would all get to know a new me, which may be refreshing at any rate!

I still plan to dance with Jennifer at her and Matt’s wedding in April, though I may step on her feet now and then. We will celebrate their marriage and the start of their new life together in style.

From there we will just take things as they come. I will be glad to correspond with all of you as I can, and will try to post occasionally. I have no sorrow over all of this, as I still see it as a gift from the Good Lord. I just opened an e-mail that spoke of the death of a fellow retired fire fighter. I do not know any circumstances, but his death is a surprise to me. I have the gift of fair warning.

I continue to thank God each day for all of your prayers and support, and I will go on living each day as the gift that it truly is. God Bless all of you, and take care. Watch for those red cardinals!

 

In one of my daily meditation booklets I found this little prayer:

 

Others may do a greater work,

But you have your part to do;

And no one in all God's family

Can do it as well as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment