Monday, July 9, 2012

July 9, 2012


          This is the meditation for today from the Magnificat. I thought it was nicely done:

Touching Christ in Our Suffering

          Suffering without Christ is hell pure and simple. With Christ it is the sign and secret of heaven… Since misfortune draws us close to God, and since few people wish for misfortune in order to be brought closer to God, sometimes God has to wish it for them.  When I acknowledge the value of suffering because I see it, I render homage to the truth, but merely by an exercise that is almost forced upon my intelligence. When I recognize the value of suffering without seeing it, then it is to God himself that I offer my homage, the generous tribute of faith… Why suffer? – asks the unbeliever or the man of little faith. How suffer well? – is the believer’s question.  While the former beats about the bush and divides his forces, the latter picks up the weight. Full of confidence, he musters and applies all his strength, breathing deeply of the breath of victory…Nothing is more depressing than the prospect of my weakness when looked upon by itself. But my heart united to God is a thrilling thought; then I see in my frailty the reverse side of his omnipotence…Suffering is a diminution of life – present life. But when accepted and loved, it is an increase of life – eternal life.



Father Antonni Gilbert Sertillanges, O.P.

Father Sertillanges (+1948) was a renowned Dominican preacher, apologist, and philosopher.

          Whenever I get feeling sorry for myself, it just takes some good reading or a good scripture passage to make me realize that this is all a part of God’s plan for me on my journey. He knows how and when it ends, so I do not need to know that for now.  That is the hardest part of this for me – when the journey ends – I still think I need that little bit of control. It doesn’t bother me so much that the end draws nearer, but I think I need to know when. God will teach my human weakness in time.

          The Holy Spirit has showed up several times today and over the weekend in the form of the red cardinals. What a beautiful bird with a beautiful song, and what beautiful thoughts and peace those cardinals bring to me. Have a great and Blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment