Friday, April 6, 2012

April 5, 2012

 
Another great day. We got a radiation treatment, met with Dr. Tolentino, and did a few errands. I am going to see if Dr. Viola and the State of South Dakota will allow me to drive again. I need to fill out some forms, then rely on the good Doctor’s input. That may take some pressure off of my lovely chauffeur, and allow me to be in control for a bit longer.

I had been contacted by a friend who had a friend who has been cancer free with the “same type” of tumor now for seven years. He uses some nutritionist from Utah, and has had good luck. His type of tumor is different than mine, but I inquired anyway. The nutritionist wants to put you on a strict diet that helps to slow growth in brain tumors. The oncologist looked over the list and found several supplements that will directly conflict with what the treatment is supposed to do. I have to err on the side of the doctor I am seeing, and not an unregulated nutritionist from Utah. The highs and lows of all of this can be like riding a roller coaster. I think the bottom line, and Dr. Tolentino agrees with us on that, is to have the best quality of life possible during the treatment of this cancer. This cancer is an aggressive brain cancer – there are no Grade 2 or Grade 3 in this type – it either is Glioblastoma (grade 4) or it is not. So, Margaret and I have decided to try to eat as healthily as we can, exercise when we can, and enjoy the time we have to do so.

The treatment path is to finish radiation on May 1st, then get a two week break from all medicines to let the body rest and catch up. After that, I get the chemo drugs for another 6 months. At that time we assess where we are at to decide how we proceed. Each case is different, so hard to predict. I want to be able to dance with my newest daughter-in-law on September 1st, although I may step on her feet a bit.

I also want to be able to enjoy a few bird hunts, build a few projects in the garage, fish a bit, watch some deer hunting, enjoy the most beautiful Christmas Season ever, then we can wind down. We’ll see how that works with God’s plan for me. If we go on longer than that, it is another gift. Anyway, I rattle on.

We got to attend the Holy Thursday services at St. Michael Church tonight. What a beautiful ceremony they have each year. It was a very moving liturgy remembering the Lord’s Last Supper. I was moved to tears several times, but I get philosophically once in a while. I think I might see this service from heaven next year, so I look at these things a bit differently now.

My touched by God moment was all through the services tonight. It was a nice touch too. Have a Good Friday tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment