Sunday, March 4, 2012

4. The News

Poor good Dr. Puumala got to come by on Thursday later on to give us the news. I had a Grade 4 Glioblastoma brain cancer. This is a very common cancer – very aggressive and there is no cure. I do appreciate his delivery – I don’t know how I would do it. He told us if we do nothing from here on out, about 6 months to go. Since I am younger and fairly healthy, this tumor has been removed, and things all went well, we may get two years. He said my brain has these little sleeper cancer cells sprinkled through-out the brain. The tumors can start up anywhere and will. He said to use the analogy of cinnamon and sugar mixed. You can’t go in and take out the cinnamon without getting rid of the sugar too. He said we would meet with an oncologist and a radiologist and set up some treatments. I thanked him for his help and he told me he would stop by on Friday to see about getting me out of the hospital. By the way, I had brain surgery, and I was talking, walking, eating, joking, and getting up and moving around. I could see, smell, taste, and even remembered a few one-liners. He did a great job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment