Sunday, March 18, 2012

Patience And Humility

This journey is causing me to make several changes in the way I do business and teaching me a lot along the way. I have always been a fairly judgmental person and not too afraid to share what I thought – Why do they not see things like I do? Why do they not care about this or that? Why do they do that to themselves? How could they vote for him? As I had said earlier, one of my Lenten resolutions was to be less judgmental, which has become much easier now for me. I probably would not have made the gains I have without this Gift.
          I have come to see all of us, you included, on a journey towards heaven. I truly do not think you cannot make it unless you out and out turn down God and His love for each of us. He wants us in heaven with Him, and He has given us what we need to get there.
          On to the Humility and Patience topic. I have had to stop driving because of several issues, brain surgery, medications, etc. My wife, Margaret, shortly to become Saint Margaret for putting up with me, is my chief chauffeur. Now you must understand, I always drove everywhere. I have to be in control and I have to do things my way.  I do not like to be a passenger, when anyone is driving. I didn’t even like riding as a Fire Captain and not being the driver at first. But that job is pretty cool and you learn to trust the Fire Apparatus Operator to get you there in one piece. I was so lucky to have been able to be a Fire Fighter…………
          Anyway, I digress – it could be the steroids. When Margaret comes to an intersection, at first, I was trying to tell her when to go, which only made it worse for her. Now I try to close my eyes, realizing that my “help” is only making it harder for her. She is a great driver and very conservative, which is good. I would shoot out and go for it, but I don’t want her doing that anyway. When we come into parking lots, I, at first, tried to point out the best spots for her, but now I am trying to keep the yap shut until we stop. She is doing great. Waiting to go someplace until your chauffeur is ready also can try your patience. I am a work in progress, and doing the best I can.
          I have a few wood shop projects I want to do as well, so my sons will be my main helpers in that area. Today the boys and I were trying to tune up a few things, move a few things I am going to get rid of, and generally pay some attention to a neglected shop area. Now I have a sudden sense of urgency to get things done? I am worried a bit that I am not leaving my sons as well trained as a father should – did I teach them what they need to know about basic stuff? They will do fine, but I am going to coach them along as I can. On their part, they want to learn some stuff yet, so we have a perfect opportunity. Poor Johnny will bear the brunt of being my helper. He said he would bring a notebook next time. He does very well, and it will be good for both of us, but do you know how hard it is to explain to a 16 year old how to choose the proper socket wrench, how to adjust the direction of turn, and then how to use it? This is teaching me patience and humility.
          As a dad, you worry about what you taught your boys, but I know mine will be just fine. We have a lot of good shop days ahead of us yet, and we will make some cool stuff.
          It was a great morning, and we got some stuff done. We will do some more tomorrow. Make it a Great Day! God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge and Faith with us, Jim! What wonderful memories to leave for your family. This particular post really brought back some memories. "Being a chauffeur". I remember how difficult it was for Brian to let me do the driving. That not only tested his patience, but mine also. Giving up that control is very difficult, but I think it is God's way of reminding us that He is the one in control.
    God Bless,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete